MLK Parent Newsletter
SEPTEMBER 12, 2021
Happy Grandparents/Abuelos Day! Thank you to all the MLK Grandparents who support their grandchildren! We thank you for your support and involvement!
We presented in all of our classrooms regarding MLK's School-wide Expectations. I encourage you to ask and discuss with your children what the expectations mean to them. They expectations are: Today I Will Be...1. Mindful of my Manners 2. Looking out for others and myself, and 3. Keeping my mind on Learning. We rehearse in our classrooms and school wide. Students who follow our expectations have the opportunity to earn Crusader Tokens. Crusader tokens can then be exchanged for items in our Weekly Crusader Store. Our Store will be opening next week. This week students can only earn tokens during recess and lunch. Please encourage your children to demonstrate positive behavior for a chance to earn Crusader Tokens.
Kinder and First Grade Parents: Please make sure your child knows whether you have sent a morning snack and/or lunch in their lunch bags. We have students who are eating their lunch for morning snack and then are coming to the lunch room with empty lunch bags. As a reminder, all of our students eat for free at MLK. Students with lunch bags are able to go to the tables and skip the lunch line; so we have students who are not going to through the lunch line but have very few items left for lunch.
parking lot safety and after school safety
We plead that you do not have your children walk across the middle of Dawn Lane or Hume Ave to meet you in your car. We ask that parents and children use the marked cross walks. We want our Crusaders to be safe and in the last week there have been some near misses of our students.
As a reminder, we ask that your children exit and enter your vehicle through the right hand side. If you are entering our drive-thru lane, please remain in the lane and do not pass vehicles. Please be patient as we are trying to get every child to the correct car in a safe manner. Wednesdays are the busiest day and when we have the most backups. Please observe all traffic laws as you navigate the parking lot. Also, please follow the directives of school officials. At times it may inconvenient however our main goal is to keep our drive thru lanes moving efficient and safe for all involved.
- Sept. 15-Oct 15th is National Hispanic Heritage Month. Here are some resources that you can share with your children: HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH I also included a short video detailing the history of National Hispanic Heritage Month.
- Please make sure your child returns the Income Verification Forms to the school. We are striving to get 100% return rate. The responses on the forms determine how much funding we are eligible form.
- MLK T-shirt and Merchandise Sale ends September 30th.
- Please return the School Site Council Ballots no later than September 17th. They will be going home with your child tomorrow September 13th.
- MVP's of the Week: Please see below for the names of our MVPS. This week's trait is Most Resilient, next week will be Caring. Students selected for MVPs get their prize on Mondays during recess.
- Football/Softball Game: Thursday, September 16th MLK vs. Monroe @ Monroe School 3:30 p.m. For the games only family members of the players will be permitted. All underage family members must be accompanied by an adult family member.
online t-shirt orders: sale ends september 30th
Our school will continue to use the Remind app to communicate important information about our school. I encourage you to download the application. If you are not a member of our Remind MLK group, please send a text to the number: 81010 and in the message portion write @mlkhanford. You may also e-mail us at: Dr. Sanchez-Leal firstname.lastname@example.org, Mrs. Kelly Bekedam at email@example.com and Ms. Castrejon firstname.lastname@example.org.
martin luther king jr. elementary
To receive text updates, please text @mlkhanford to 81010.